Flash movie in PowerPoint does not play
Article ID: KB101618
A few PowerPoint template customers have reported that the Flash movie
within the template will not play in the slide show presentation mode. This is caused
by a bug in PowerPoint where it handles files differently based on how they are opened.
Two ways to open PowerPoint Templates
PowerPoint Templates come packaged as either .zip files or self-extracting .exe files
(developers are migrating to only .zip files). Once the files are extracted, the customer will
find a .pot file included. This is the PowerPoint Template file. Most users are
accustomed to opening PowerPoint first and then navigating to the location of the .pot file, and then opening the .pot file from within PowerPoint. Other users (with PowerPoint closed) like to double-click on the .pot file to open the file and the program at the same time. This second option works correctly in a majority of cases, but does not work well for products that include Flash movies.
How to correctly open a PowerPoint Template that contains a Flash movie
The following is the recommended process for opening PowerPoint Templates that contain Flash movies:
1. Extract the template file(s) from the downloaded .zip or .exe file.
2. Open PowerPoint.
3. Select File…Open.
4. Navigate to the folder where the .pot file was extracted.
5. Select the .pot file and click open.
6. Before making any changes, select File…Save As.
7. Save the file, with the preferred name, to a location on your computer. Be certain that you change the file extension from .pot to .ppt. For example, you would name the new presentation filename.ppt rather than filename.pot.
8. You should now see that you’re working with the new filename.ppt file.
9. Make desired changes.
This process should ensure that the Flash movie will run properly. We recommend that you always open PowerPoint first before opening the .pot or .ppt file for future edits.
Was this helpful?
Please rate this article:
Email address: (not required)
(Please provide your email address if you would like PixelMill support to follow-up with you about your comment. Your email address is NOT REQUIRED to submit a comment.)
Comments: (How can we improve this article?)
Clicking "Submit" will not clear this page.
link to this page:
permalink to this article:
Back to top