An issue that causes SharePoint Designer to Crash
While finishing a WSS site for a client, I had to make some final changes to a page that used data views. The page was almost done and when I went to open the page to work on it again, SharePoint Designer crashed.
So I tried to open the page several more times, and each time I did, the program crashed. Then I decided I would rebuild the page and just add the content again, thinking it was just a fluke. When I got to one particular part, which happened to be a Content Editor Web Part (CEWP), it happened again.
Now I found the culprit, all that was left was to figure out why the CEWP was causing SharePoint Designer to crash. In the end it wasn’t anything really big. Once I opened the CEWP in the browser and looked at the source code (on the original page). The CEWP had a Link <a href=”yoururl.com”>Link Text</a><a href=”yoururl.com”></a>.
This was the only thing I found that seemed odd, so I removed the second link with the empty title, saved my page, reopened my original page in SharePoint Designer and everything worked like a charm.