Who Runs the Mill? Girls!
Women earn only 28 percent of computer science degrees.
Women hold only 25 percent of computing jobs.
Women hold only 11 percent of executive positions at Silicon Valley companies. Read more on the latest stats on women in tech at cleverism.
Here at PixelMill, 60 percent of our staff and half our executive team are… you guessed it… women, and we’re proud of it. Meet the incredible women who make up our diverse, talented, passionate, and fun team.
Corrie is the definition of a renaissance woman: a math whiz, stellar coder, musician, artist, chef, and outdoor enthusiast with the ability to learn just about anything put before her. Corrie came to PixelMill with a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics from UC Davis. She worked for PixelMill for five years right out of college, then went on to freelance and publish two books, The Photoshop Anthlogy and Photoshop CS6 Unlocked. Corrie moved on to work for a consulting company in DC as their Lead Designer and worked on many SharePoint public-facing sites for commercial and government clients. She returned to us two years ago as a senior developer, but don’t worry, she gets to design now and then to fulfill her creative side.
- Hometown: Davis, California
- What inspires Corrie: “Constantly learning. Developing is always rewarding. You get to type things in and see the changes; plus, I get to work with fun people.”
- Hobbies: Music, reading, cooking, drawing, calligraphy
- Fun Fact(s): She plays piano, guitar, violin, and harp. She used to make stained glass, currently, she’s into calligraphy. She’s known to read five books at the same time. She became a math major to rebel against everyone telling her to be a designer or artist.
- Guilty Pleasure: Ramen (follow her on Instagram @corriespondent for stellar ramen reviews) and French fries
- Pet Peeve: When people don’t clean up after themselves
A self-proclaimed “honey badger,” Heather knows how to get things done. As a Sales Engineer and Account Manager, she’s always looking out for our clients. Her go-getter attitude, hilarious sense of humor, and wide skill-set make her highly effective. Heather came to PixelMill in our early days as a designer and development contractor, where she honed her skills on some of our first SharePoint branding projects. She then moved on to work for a consulting company in Washington, DC, where she worked on many SharePoint sites for commercial and government clients. Two years ago, Heather returned to us and joined the sales team as our Sales Engineer. As the client advocate, Heather ensures we are solving our clients’ needs. Never fear, she keeps her hands in the development realm and is often customizing and creating templates for PixelMill products or trying to solve a SharePoint conundrum. Heather has contributed to a SharePoint step-by-step book and tech-edited two SharePoint branding books. You may have seen her as a two-time speaker at the SharePoint Evolutions conference in London.
- Current City: Laurens, South Carolina
- What inspires Heather: “I love figuring out how things work, solving problems, and discovering new ways to use or break a product.”
- Hobbies: Decorating her house, gardening, cooking, creating reclaimed decorative items
- Fun Fact(s): Had dinner with Prince Michael of Kent. She’s gone skydiving and driven tanks over cars just to crush them. Corrie and Heather have worked for the same companies at the same time for the last 16 years!
- Guilty Pleasure: A glass of wine (don’t judge: she picks wine by the label design), a great binge-worthy show, and trying new foods
- Pet Peeve: People chewing loudly
- Hometown: Auburn, CA
- What inspires Amy: “Functionally sound designs.”
- Hobbies: Hiking, camping, and spending time with her family
- Fun Fact: She has four daughters
- Guilty Pleasures: Trashy tv, cheese
- Pet Peeve: Misspelling, especially in code
Strategic Programs & Operations Manager
Gilda’s passionate drive for constant improvement keeps PixelMill on the cutting edge in all aspects of our processes. Gilda came to PixelMill with a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Design with extensive study in Computer Science from UC Berkeley. Her career started with Perkins Williams and Cotterill Architects as a CAD drafter and coordinator for learning resources. Gilda joined the PixelMill team as a developer/designer where she got to see the inner workings of the sales department while being the Salesforce administrator. With her experience with sales, she then went on to do sales at VisionCourse and returned to PixelMill where she merged her management and development skillset as a Project Manager. Today she acts as our Strategic Program & Operations Manager where she mentors and empowers our diverse team to deliver stellar projects.
- Hometown: San Ramon, CA
- What inspires Gilda: “Building things. Which includes collaboration between our team and a client team and then a beautiful (in design and function) site that everyone is in love with and makes ‘work-life’ easier for our users.”
- Hobbies: Reading, organizing, photography, crafts, travel, learning new things, and spending time with her family
- Fun Fact(s): She’s an autodidact. She is currently learning: coloring with Copic markers, product management, agile transformation, machine learning with Python, and living toxin-free.
- Guilty Pleasures: A good story, the beach, and redwood forests
- Pet Peeve: Passive-aggressive behavior and duplicity
Lead Business Analyst
Chloe is a lifelong learner who attacks problem-solving with fervor, empathy, and attention to detail. She came to PixelMill with a Bachelor’s degree in International Relations with a concentration on the economies in developing nations from UC Davis. Chloe joined the PixelMill team to lead digital communication efforts where she quickly became a SharePoint power-user and developed a knowledge base in UI/UX Research and Design. Later, Chloe spent a term working with the UC Davis Mondavi Center to complete the organization’s website redesign. Over the last three years, Chloe has expanded her expertise in numerous digital platforms, including SharePoint, WordPress, and other CMS systems. As an excellent written and verbal communicator, she excels at translating key business requirements into successful intranets, extranets, and public facing sites. When Chloe isn’t helping our clients uncover their potential, you’ll probably find her on an outdoor adventure or cuddled up to her fur baby, Izzy the cat, while listening to her favorite podcast.
- Hometown: Clackamas, Oregon
- What inspires Chloe: “Learning.”
- Hobbies: Gym, lifting weights, podcasts, reading, and cooking
- Fun Fact(s): She graduated high school a year early. She had micro spinal cord surgery when she was 12, and she now has 3 screws in her hip, one of which is 4.5″ long.
- Guilty Pleasure: Gossip Girl
- Pet Peeve: When you’re listening to something and someone starts talking and doesn’t pause it
Lead Developer – MCSE, MCSA, MCP, MCTS
Petya, our fun lead developer, brings a wealth of technical knowledge from web development, information architecture, SharePoint, and other Microsoft applications, including Office 365, to PixelMill. She received a bachelor’s degree in Information Technologies and an M.S. degree in Software Technologies from the University of Plovdiv, Bulgaria. With more than ten years of software development experience, including seven years with SharePoint, Petya’s expertise in both workflow integration and SharePoint customization is vast. Petya has worked as a Lead Developer with numerous SharePoint teams across a variety of industry verticals. When she’s not coding, you’ll likely find her spending time with her family, fur baby (Guinea Pig), or volunteering for a local charity.
- Hometown: St. Albans
- What inspires Petya: “Seeing how people progress and how our team members have grown.”
- Hobbies: Family time (AKA Mom Taxi), running
- Fun Fact(s): She’s done British Military Fitness
- Guilty Pleasure: Lindt Chocolates
- Pet Peeve: People who don’t close their mouths when they chew
Elyssa’s an artist at heart with an infectious laugh that keeps the PixelMill team in high spirits. She came to PixelMill with a bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design from Sac State University. Elyssa is intimately involved in the design process here at PixelMill, and like many here, she’s expanding her breadth of knowledge by learning how to code. Elyssa’s ever-growing development knowledge combined with her visual design and UI/UX skills make her a powerhouse team member.
- Hometown: San Jose, California
- What inspires Elyssa: “I’m inspired when I get to talk with our clients and the end-user. I’m able to draw inspiration from what they’re imagining. Getting to bring the client’s vision to life is special.”
- Hobbies: Drawing, mandala drawing, photography, yoga, and cooking
- Fun fact: She used to sing (Karaoke-off anyone?)
- Guilty Pleasure: Chocolate
- Pet Peeve: When things aren’t organized
Developer and Business Analyst- MCP
Carolyn has a broad range of experience in Real Estate, including Finance, Appraisal, and Sales. However, after years working in Real Estate, she began to pursue more digital ventures, including Online Marketing. Recognizing that site creation played a significant role in her marketing efforts, Carolyn quickly found herself emerged in the world of Web Design and Development. During her spare time, she started building websites and seeking a deeper level of coding knowledge. Carolyn’s client-focused approach and self-taught technical abilities make her an invaluable asset to our team. Carolyn received her Bachelor of Arts in History with a Minor in Music from University of California, Santa Cruz. She’s also a Microsoft Certified Professional. When she’s not behind the screen at the office, you may catch her with a Nintendo remote in hand battling her kiddos in a game of Mario Kart.
- Hometown: Fort Bragg, California
- What inspires Carolyn: “I’m inspired by challenges. I love attacking any challenge that comes my way.”
- Hobbies: Biking, swimming, playing video games
- Fun Fact: In High School, she played Frenchy in Grease
- Guilty Pleasure: Binge-watching a whole season of something on Netflix
- Pet Peeve: Timelines getting thrown out of whack and causing chaos
Sr. Manager of Marketing & Sales
As a kid, Danielle wanted to be Snow White or an Advertising Executive. As an adult, she’s a little of both. Danielle joined the PixelMill team around this time last year. She came to PixelMill with a Bachelor’s degree in Communications from UC Davis and 15 years’ experience in communications and marketing. She spent most of her 15-year career with one of FORTUNE’s top 100 Best Companies to Work For, Nugget Markets. Danielle launched their social media strategy and was part of the executive team responsible for their communication overhaul which resulted in making the company’s number one employee-reported weakness one of its top strengths. Danielle brings experience from multiple verticals including app development, ESP and ISP utilities, and fashion. She oversees the marketing and sales departments here at PixelMill. When she’s not in front of her computer, you’ll likely find her on the stage performing musical theatre or on a walk through the UC Davis Arboretum with her pups.
- Hometown: Stockton, CA
- What inspires Danielle: “I love seeing organizations and individuals fostering collaboration and communication to build trust, enhance culture, and reach their full potential.”
- Hobbies: Acting, singing, dancing, musical theatre, hiking, yoga, sewing, cooking, spending time with her husband and fur & scale babies, board games, and DIY home improvements
- Fun Fact(s): She auditioned for American Idol when she was 16. She’s owned at least 2 lizards since she was 7 years old (her current beardies, Wilson and Romo, named after the 2010 SF Giant champs, turn 9 this year).
- Guilty Pleasures: Masterpiece Theatre, vintage clothing hunting at thrift stores, and Taco Bell
- Pet Peeve: The sound of chewing and/or talking with your mouth full (misophonia to the max)