Six Questions to Ask When Optimizing an Existing Site
If you’re starting a search engine project for an existing site, here are six questions to ask:
- Have you done anything really wacky in the past that causes Google to penalize the site? This can include items on the site, and also links from poor quality sites.
- Is the site currently picked up? If so, how many URLs are known to Google and Yahoo, and will these be maintained in the new site?
- How many good quality links are pointing to a site?
- What type of terms are you aiming for? Some are much more competitive than others.
- How many terms are you aiming for and how big is the site going to be roughly? (30 – 100 pages, or 100-1000, or 1000 plus)
- Have you done any pay per click advertising? This is a great help at putting together a terms list.
In future posts we’ll explore each of these items.