Viva Insights – Protect Your Team’s Wellbeing with Data-driven Decisions
Data-driven decision-making is key to any organization’s success. But can we apply data to something as intangible as wellbeing? According to Microsoft, the answer is yes, and they have the analytics, statistics to prove it, and the tool to help you foster employee wellbeing and work/life balance for your team members. Que… Viva Insights. Currently, Viva Insights empowers users to take charge of their day, protect important focus time, reflect, send praise, and stay connected while providing managers and leaders insights to head off frustrations and prevent burnout.
What is Viva Insights?
Viva Insights is broken into two distinct modules: Viva Insights for Individuals & Viva Insights for Managers & Leaders.
Viva Personal Insights for Individuals:
According to Microsoft, Viva Insights for Microsoft Viva Insights provides personalized recommendations to help you do your best work. Get insights to build better work habits, such as following through on commitments made to collaborators and protecting focus time in the day for uninterrupted, individual work.
It derives these insights by summarizing your Microsoft 365 data – data that you already have access to – about emails, meetings, calls, and chats.
And it’s important to note that these insights are private. Your managers, leaders, and team members cannot access this information.
Microsoft describes the following as the features available today with Viva Insights Personal (Free):
- Viva Insights in Teams – Shows your personal insights within your Microsoft Teams flow of work, including how to stay connected, protect time, use Headspace for guided meditation, and start a virtual commute.
- Viva Insights in Outlook add-in – Shows you insights within Microsoft Outlook about how to prepare for upcoming meetings, gain focus time, maintain your work relationships, plan time away from work, and improve your overall work-life balance.
- MyAnalytics dashboard – This unified web experience shows you statistics about how you’ve spent your time over the past month, productivity insights about your work habits, and how to you explore your network, top collaborators, and collaboration activities.
- Briefing emails in Outlook – Within two hours of your workday (as set up in Outlook), you’ll get an email about any relevant items to help you stay in control of your calendar and be intentional about your day, including outstanding commitments or requests, preparing for upcoming meetings, and suggested times to schedule for focusing or catching up on messages.
- Digests in Outlook – Digests are generated by Viva Insights and inserted into your Outlook inbox that can help you better understand your work patterns and suggests ways to improve them.
- Inline suggestions in Outlook – AI-driven notifications that appear in Outlook while you are either reading or composing an email or a meeting invitation. These suggestions, tips, and best practices are designed to help inform and guide you in making effective email and meeting decisions.
Manager and Leader Insights:
According to Microsoft, Viva Insights for Managers and Leaders—which is now officially replacing “Workplace Analytics—”helps people and businesses thrive with data-driven, privacy-protected insights and recommendations to improve productivity and wellbeing.”
- Manager insights – Provide much-needed visibility into work patterns that might lead to burnout and stress, such as regular after-hours work, meeting overload, or too little focus time. Managers can use these insights to help their teams strike a balance between productivity and wellbeing.
- Leader insights – Help business leaders to address critical questions about organizational resiliency and work culture with insight into how work impacts their people and their business. These help leaders take steps to protect employee wellbeing and see opportunities where a change in process could improve business outcomes.
The prerequisites are different for manager insights about your team and leader insights about your organization. Microsoft breaks down the following prerequisites for the type of insights you want to view by type:
- “Manager insights – To get access to My Team, confirm you meet the following prerequisites:
- Manager access – Ask if your Viva Insights or Workplace Analytics admin has Manager settings in Workplace Analytics turned On.
- No other roles – You are not assigned any other roles for Viva Insights in Workplace Analytics, including admin, analyst, or program manager.
- Licensed team – The members of your team are assigned licenses for Viva Insights in Workplace Analytics and are included in the reporting hierarchy that leads to you as their manager.
- Minimum team size – Your team structure meets the minimum group size of 10 or more measured and licensed employees (including you as their manager).
- Leader insights – To view the My organization page in the Viva Insights app in Teams, you need the role of Analyst (Limited) for Viva Insights in Workplace Analytics. See Assign roles for detailed instructions and see Role descriptions and access levels for general information about roles.”
What does Viva Insights cost?
Viva Insights Personal: Free with a Microsoft 365 license.
Microsoft Viva Insights – premium personal, manager and leader insights: $4 user/month
How do I set up Viva Insights?
Viva Insights Personal is on by default if you have access to Microsoft Teams and have an Exchange Online account.
To learn more about setting up Viva Insights for Leaders & Managers visit the corresponding Microsoft Setup Documentation.
Frequently asked questions about Viva Insights:
What information can people see about me in their Viva Insights App?
The information you see in Viva Insights is only available to you! No one else in your organization can see your personal insights. People can only see what you have already granted them access to in Microsoft 365. For example, your availability—if you’ve already shared with people in your org. This gives you more reason to keep your calendar updated and use the private option when necessary.
Can anyone in the organization see what is in my Insights App?
No one can see your personal Insights.
What data does the Viva Insights app use?
- Information from email items:
- Metadata. This includes the email’s timestamp, names of sender and recipients, and “read” status.
- Task statements. Statements that people have made in the body text of the email. These statements are used to create task cards for your use only.
- Information from calendar items:
- Type (meeting or appointment)
- Status (busy, free, out-of-office, tentative)
- OneDrive SharePoint data: Viva Insights shows a count of OneDrive and SharePoint documents that you have worked on.
Why can’t I use the Management Insights for my organization?
There are prerequisites around the number of users/team size required for manager insights. Or your organization has not yet secured licensing for the premium insight features.
What is happening to Workplace Analytics?
Workplace Analytics is becoming Viva insights for Leaders & Managers.
Are you ready to empower your team with a digital workspace focused on their wellbeing and work/life balance? Chat with a PixelMill Employee Experience Architect today!